Statement of Function
The two main responsibilities of this section are to implement County comprehensive plan environmental policies and
to enforce general codes and ordinances enacted by the County to protect community standards. Specific duties
involve approving various permits (e.g. land clearing, tree removal, sign zoning, home occupations), issuing code
violation citations, and performing site plan reviews and inspections. Environmental planning also falls under this
section's duties, including environmental aspects of comprehensive planning and site plan review. This section's staff
also coordinates with the County Parks Division on management of conservation lands acquired under the County
Environmental Lands Program.
2015/2016 Goals and Objectives
• Facilitate the land management process under the County Environmental Lands Program.
• Process zoning and environmental permits in a timely manner.
• Complete an update of the County Manatee Protection Plan.
• Enforce the County’s floodplain regulations.
• Maintain the County’s Class 6 Community Rating System classification.
• Process all code enforcement complaints.